I have been deciding the whole month of January if I wanted to post a Make Nine list for 2022. Like so many others I make these elaborate lists of garments I want to make at the beginning of the year. This year I looked long and hard at what I needed in my wardrobe, not much with working from home, but I still like fashion and clothing is my Love Language. I have also added pieces that will help me expand my sewing skills and to use other fabrics that I typically shy away from.
My list is created in no special order of completion. The weather in California is unpredictable so I will sew as I see fit, for whatever weather we are having here. The ongoing joke here is that we have 2 seasons, wet when we are not in a drought, hot because of the drought. Okay enough about the weather, let’s take a look at the list.
- Simplicity 9480 – Jumpsuit (View B) – no matter the season a good jumpsuit is always on my list. I choose View B, the shorter length, knowing that I have to remove at least 4″ on jumpsuit/pant patterns to accommodate my height.
- Simplicity 9463 – Dress (View B) – love everything about this dress, especially the peplum style bottom. The peplum is not my usually style, but I am stepping out of my comfort zone. More than likely I will make both versions at some point, but for now it’s View B.
- Vogue 1832 – Jacket and Pants – this pattern is going to be my challenge outfit. I am challenging myself to make garments with more zippers. Zippers are not my strong point, but I need to get over it. I am going to put all the finishing details on this outfit with the color contrast on the sleeve and it’s going to match a pair of sneakers my husband bought me for Christmas. This one is on the cutting table as I write this post.
- Simplicity 8830 – Shirtdress (View A) – this pattern is gorgeous and the style I am looking for, at the moment, next week my style can totally change. I love the versatility of this pattern. I can wear it as a shirt or a dress, dressed up or down. I am actually excited about this one.
- Simplicity 9268 – Top and Pants – this pattern was on my list last year to make during summer and it didn’t happen. The weather changed and I put it away. I have all the fabric and notions and if I remember correctly it is already cut out.
- Simplicity 9228 Top and Pants – it’s all about coordinating and this pattern is just that. I can wear the jacket with jeans, or the pants with a jean jacket. I can already see so many options with this one.
- Mood Buttercup Sweatshirt – all 3 looks – this pattern has 3 looks and all 3 are pieces I can use in my wardrobe. The crop banded with jeans and a cute pair of sneakers, the crop with leggings and sandals, the dress with wedges or sneakers. The options with this one is also endless and the choice of fabric can make or break this piece.
- Swimsuit – last year I made Simplicity 1116 and of course I can’t find it. I have 4 other sewing patterns in my pattern collection. I haven’t decided which one I want to make yet, but I have time, it’s not hot here yet and I don’t have any tropical vacations planned. The 4 I have are McCall’s 5400, Simplicity 8928, Vogue 9192, and Simplicity 1374.
- Swimsuit cover up – I have 2 patterns in mind for the cover-up, New Look A6283 and Simplicity 1375. Simplicity 1375 is an actual dress, put is perfect to use as a cover–up over a swimsuit for a dinner on the beach. Yes I plan on going to the beach this summer. I have 2 fabrics I want to use for a cover-up, so more than likely I will make one of each pattern.
Yes, I know this is more than nine patterns, my goals have expanded and sewing makes me happy!!! 2022 is my year to grow in all things that I touch.
Update on Vogue 1754 Misses’ Cape: The Cape is complete, but I haven’t found the perfect hardware (buttons) for the belt. As soon as I find something I will post a blog post on it. I absolutely love how it turned out.
Fashion is art and you are the canvas. ~Velvet Paper